For my father’s birthday and for father’s day this year, I decided to paint him a mural of Mount Mansfield which is, for those who don’t know, the tallest peak in Vermont and visible in most of my hometown. He’d been talking about having me paint a mural in the family home for awhile now as I’d done rooms for several other people with great success, so I decided it was time to spunk up the living room with some colorful but classic looking artwork.
I really enjoy murals but starting them is always hard, it’s such a large space to cover.
I started out with a light blue base paint, house paint, and mixed the blue with the original yellow paint of the wall to blend out the edges of the mural, I wanted a smooth gradient. The rest of the paints here on out will be acylics.
After the base was dry, which didn’t take long, I sketched out the skyline of mountains and began with the detailing of the sky. I wanted the sky to remain simple, but adding a darker blue gradient helped it look less flat. As you can see, my height was often a problem during this project and it was hard to paint comfortably on the ladder, but in the end it’s worth it!
I did the base coat of the mountains all in one session. Each of these sessions are several hours and each picture details one session approximately. Getting the mountain base was surprisingly easy the sheerness of the acrylics on the thicker house paint base made it easy to block in rocky and grassy looking shapes.
This session was a long one, during a weekend I believe. I detailed and smoothed out the sky (the white you can see by the tips of the mountains) and painted the base and shadows for the tree line that sits below the mountains. I remember this session taking awhile because when painting with the acrylics on the house paint, sometimes getting the paint too wet would take it away all together.
This photo was from the same day as the one above, but I took a significant break in the day to let the paint dry and then I went in and started detailing the tree line and creating it’s blurring gradient out to match the edges of the base.
This is the final product and both my dad and my mom are very happy and enjoy the piece in their living room. There are still some frustrating paint spots on the ceiling but oh well! One of my better more realistic looking murals for sure.